Peculiar Work reflects some of my own varied interests, as suggested under the “Categories” dropdown menu. Posts, some lengthy, will appear on the “Blog Posts” page at irregular intervals and in order of publication, the most recent at the top of the page. Among other things, posts may address:
- The life and work of Benton MacKaye, whose biography I’ve written.
- Environmental issues.
- Trails and trail history, especially concerning the Appalachian Trail and the Bay Circuit Trail.
- The history and politics of Little Compton, Rhode Island, where I’ve lived for more than 35 years.
- Early Las Vegas (early 20th century, that is).
- Anything else I’m interested in.
The origin of the site’s title is suggested by the post titled “Concentric Cartography,” about New England surveyor, panoramist, and cartographer Edward G. Chamberlain. I have also published a book titled Peculiar Work.
Information about my books and some of my other writing is available at the “Books, etc.” page. Links to other selected documents, many of them relating to Little Compton, Rhode Island, are available at the “Documents” page.
If you’d like to receive an email notification each time I publish a new post, please sign up in the form at the bottom of this page.
The format and features of this site, which launched in February 2022, may be altered from time to time.
Mail: P.O. Box 205, Little Compton, RI 02837